Friday, July 3, 2009

Chill out! It's a Holiday!

I think I need an attitude adjustment.

I call trucking people to discuss picking up a load of flooring...and have to leave a message. I call the raw flooring mill to discuss an order...and have to leave a message. I check my email...it's mostly spam (no, not you Conrad and not you, Sunny). I check my voice messages. All quiet.

Oh yeah. It's a holiday.

Holidays always throw me for a loop. Shouldn't be this way. Holidays are always forecast. Holidays are always on the calendar - in different colors, to boot. Holidays are eagerly anticipated by the vast majority of people, working or not. Holidays mean good things: good food, family around, places to go have fun, time to do nothing. To relax.

Holidays also mean that shipments won't be finished in time. A project will fall behind. Paperwork will accumulate faster than it can be processed. (There's a rule: it takes five full workdays to recover the output missed in one non-work holiday.)

Did someone say, "workaholic?"

I'd hate to think so. But the workload mountain looms all the time - and I cannot see over it. I hear the wolf scratching at the door. I can't look back - because something's gaining on me!

I'd prefer to say "entrepreneur." Doesn't sound so pathological.

Have a happy holiday... (I'll be here chillin' when you all get back to work.)

No comments:

Post a Comment